August 30, 2011

SING!

So tonight, a good friend asked me why there wasn't any audio on my blog....what he was referring to was my singing.

Singing is sort of a new/old friend in my life.  I've been singing all my life, I grew up with music, living with singers and even a vocal coach, but I've only been training for the last 5-6 years, and performing for the last 3 or so years.

On August 5th of this year, I had a solo performance called "Sight. Sound" which coincided with a showing of my art.  It was at a beautiful venue in University City called The Chapel.  A gorgeous renovated space that is now a non-profit performance and gallery space.

I created a piece of art for every song in my show- totaling 15 pieces, and it was a really special evening.  Some of the songs, I had been wanting to sing for years.  It was very personal for me- with snippets of stories of my experiences in life, where I've been, where I am going, etc...The show was sold out a week in advance, and a real hit- I hope to do it again real soon!!!

Here are a few images to share...
Me on stage at the Chapel- with my rockin' music director and brilliant beyond words collaborative partner, Rick Jensen.












One of the paintings I made- this one, "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us".   A song about Sister Rosetta Tharpe- she and I share a birthday!


























"Some of These Days"- yes, the old Sophie Tucker tune.... (this piece is still for sale)


I sold 5 paintings that night- yay!!! That means there are 10 left, so contact me if you are interested in seeing any of the others.

Rick and I earlier this year, recording a 3 song demo CD at Phat Buddha studios- downtown STL.  Rick is also a sound engineer in addition to his amazing piano skills- so I had 2 engineers that day- good stuff.

So, to fulfill the request for some audio, here is a short audio/video piece- the painting goes with the song...hope you like it!!!



3 comments: